The plan was to make some seat pads for the utilitarian plastic school chairs in the parish rooms, in the hopes of making them warmer and a little more comfortable to sit on.
Last time I made any patchwork was over 30 years ago and was hand stitched around little paper templates. I opted for 3″ squares with 1/2″ seam allowance – eventually I graduated to 4″ squares and the “proper” 1/4″ seam allowance.
Camphor (the ginger ninja) felt he needed to help with this stage but when I didn’t listen to him he gave up and went to do something more interesting. Several days later the finished article! Struggling a bit with being a perfectionist I was a bit sad about my wonky corners but once it is in the dip of the chair you really don’t notice. I loved the way that the whole thing came to life once I started quilting and the springy texture is really tactile. For the technically minded the wadding is 3 layers of 2oz polyester. Who knew patchwork could be soo very tiring 😀